NOTES: The image shows the Statue of the Republic by Daniel Chester French in the foreground, the Agriculture Building by McKim, Mead & White on the left, the Manufactures and Liberal Arts Building by George B. Post on the right and the Administration Building by Richard M. Hunt in the background
SOURCE: Architecture in Dharwar and Mysore photographed by the late Dr Pigou ... [et al.] ; with an historical and descriptive memoir by Meadows Taylor ... and architectural notes by James Fergusson (London, 1886)
NOTES: Hugh Casson, with Leslie Gooday as assistant, was responsible for the design of the boating-pool and leisure area. The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967.