NOTES: This, the former monastery church of the Benedictine abbey of Wymondham (originally a priory and raised to the status of abbey in 1448), was completed c. 1130. The abbey was dissolved in 1538 and the bell tower and the whole of the eastern part of the church, together with the monastic buildings, fell into ruin. The south aisle was recovered towards the end of the 16th century and thereafter served as the parish church, dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury. The Perpendicular angel roof and clerestory were added in the 15th century. The reredos by Sir Ninian Comper was dedicated in 1921 as a war memorial.