Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Walls

View as Grid List
Sort by

Melsetter House, Hoy, Orkney: detail of dry stone wall

RIBA145914
Lethaby, William Richard (1857-1931)
NOTES: See RIBA145908 for a black and white version of this image.

Visitor Centre, Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, with dry stone wall in the foreground

RIBA148203
Edward Cullinan Architects
NOTES: See RIBA148227 for a colour version of this image.

Visitor Centre, Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, with dry stone wall in the foreground

RIBA148227
Edward Cullinan Architects
NOTES: See RIBA148203 for a black and white version of this image.

Ewenny Priory, Ewenny, Glamorgan: the precinct fortification

RIBA148845
NOTES: The precinct fortification to Ewenny Priory was constructed in the 12th century and enlarged c. 1300 whehn a high stone wall was raised around the whole monastic enclosure.

Ewenny Priory, Ewenny, Glamorgan: the precinct fortification

RIBA148846
NOTES: The precinct fortification to Ewenny Priory was constructed in the 12th century and enlarged c. 1300 whehn a high stone wall was raised around the whole monastic enclosure.

New Place, Haslemere: detail of garden wall

RIBA149949
Voysey, Charles Francis Annesley (1857-1941)

Great Tangley Manor, Wonersh, Surrey: detail of ancient stone wall enclosing the forecourt, with wisteria growing across

RIBA150534
Webb, Philip Speakman (1831-1915)
NOTES: A late Elizabethan moated, timber-framed manor house, built in 1582 by John Caryl encasing an earlier 15th century hall house. In 1884 the house was sold to Wickham Flower, who as a founder member of SPAB (Society for the Preservation of Ancient Buildings) commissioned Philip Webb to restore it, and to layout the ornamental gardens incorporating the medieval moat. Two extensions were added by Webb (1885-1887 and 1893-1894). After Flower's death in 1904, the house was sold and a new wing added to the north by the architect and landscape designer Inigo Thomas. See RIBA161431 for a colour version of this image.

Hestercombe House and gardens, Taunton: detail of garden wall with planting

RIBA150549
Bampfylde, Coplestone Warre (1720-1791)
NOTES: The house dates back to the 17th century but was extensively remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries. But the house is famous for its gardens. First landscaped in the 1750s by the then owner Coplestone Warre Bampfylde, a landscape designer and amateur painter. Then in 1904, Lutyens with Jekyll responsible for the planting created one of his largest single garden designs, creating a series of paved terraces, raised walks and water features and a grand Orangery of 1906-1908. See RIBA161593 for a colour version of this image.

Muller House, Sherriff Road, West Hampstead, London: detail of window and wall of lath with lightweight aggregate pebbles behind

RIBA154960
Muller, Brian
NOTES: This was a conversion of a late Victorian terrace house by the architect Brian Muller for himself. The house was stripped back to its bare brickwork and the joists exposed with floor to ceiling height windows inserted at the rear. See RIBA117698 for a black and white version of this image.

Sainsbury Building, Worcester College, Oxford: elevation showing the rubble walling

RIBA157555
MacCormac Jamieson Prichard
NOTES: The building won a Civic Trust award in 1983. See RIBA86728 for a black and white version of this image.

Woodland Cemetery, Stockholm

RIBA158073
Lewerentz, Sigurd (1885-1975)
NOTES: Asplund and Lewerentz won the competition for the new cemetery in 1915 and spent the next 25 years developing the cemetery in a landscape of wooded pines populated by small chapels. See RIBA132281 for a black and white version of this image.

Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire: the south (entrance) front under snow

RIBA158769
Flitcroft, Henry (1697-1769)
NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. Between 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane. The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. See RIBA130700 for a black and white version of this image.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE