NOTES: Commissioned by the 3rd Earl Grosvenor (later the 1st Duke of Westminster from 1874), this lavish mansion was designed to display his enormous wealth. It comprised 150 bedrooms, massive stables, huge kennels and a chapel. Deemed too costly and large to maintain by the trustees of the Westminster estate, the mansion was demolished in 1961, leaving only the chapel and the stable block. A smaller house was built on the edge of the footprint of the old building in 1967.
NOTES: The building, originally a Victorian villa, was enlarged and converted into a hotel in 1926. The 19th century library was severely damaged during a fire in 1981 but restored to its former state a few years later.