SOURCE: John Nash. The Royal Pavilion at Brighton (London, 1826), pl. 20 NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.
NOTES: This large town church, founded c.1220 as a place of worship for the masons working on Salisbury Cathedral, was rebuilt in Perpendicular style c.1450. The Doom, or last Judgement mural, the most complete in England, was commissioned to fill the wall above the chancel arch and dates from 1475.