NOTES: The market town of Milton Abbas was demolished in its entirety by the Earl of Dochester between 1771 and 1790. He commissioned Capability Brown the plans for a new village, consisting mainly of cottages lining up the main street. The cottages were designed by Sir William Chambers.
NOTES: Battery Square is on the crown of the cliff enclosing the village to the south-west. Part of a group of about ten buildings, it is part of the early phase of construction of the resort. The weather-boarded Kentish style Battery and adjoining Chart Room were completed in 1927, the Campanile in 1928.
NOTES: Holly Village was designed by Henry Astley Darbishire for the philanthropist Baroness Angela Burdett-Coutts. It consists of four detached houses and four pairs of adjoining cottages built around a green.