NOTES: Connected at the southern end to the cathedral, Vicars' Close is a rare survival in Europe of a planned mid-14th century street with its original buildings intact. It comprises 27 residences (originally 44), built for Bishop Ralph of Shrewsbury, a chapel and library at the north end, and a hall at the south end.
NOTES: Since its construction in the 15th century, this residence of the Archdeacon has been much repaired and renewed. The twin-gabled brick part interspersed with flint and stone was constructed in 1570. The buildings in the Precincts were extensively damaged during the air raids of 1940 and 1942 and many had to be demolished, notably the Library on the north side and Forens Gate. Those that survived were swiftly reinstated.