NOTES: The Norman central tower, the 'Angel Steeple', was demolished in the 1430s and reconstructed much taller in Perpendicular style between 1494 and 1505 by John Wastell. The 1288 Bell Harry was installed in 1500.
NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral began in 1180 and was completed by the Lady Chapel in 1326. The nave was completed in 1220-1229. The scissor-arches (inverted strainer arches) were built c. 1338-1348 to support the tower when the foundations of the two western piers sank into the ground.
NOTES: Built between 1160 and 1200 as the church for the Augustinian priory of St Frideswide, this church was appropriated by Cardinal Wolsey as the chapel of the new college of Christ Church being built on the priory lands in 1524. It was designated the cathedral of the diocese of Oxford in 1546.