Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Vaulting

View as Grid List
Sort by

Wandsworth Prison, London: view down two of the radiating wings across the central rotunda

RIBA5049
Hill, David R.
NOTES: It was built on the "Panopticon" design to enable the "separate system" to be used for 700 prisoners in individual cells, each with toilet facilities. The main part of the prison, having 4 wings radiating from the centre, was for male prisoners with a smaller separate building for females: two further wings were added in 1856.

Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank, London: entrance foyer

RIBA5228
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design

Divinity School, Oxford

RIBA5286
Orchard, William (d. 1504)
NOTES: William Orchard was responsible for the vault while Richard Winchcombe, one of the master masons, was probably the designer of the building. The door on the right was added in 1669.

Kenwood House, Hampstead, London: the library or Great Room

RIBA5310
Adam, Robert (1728-1792)
NOTES: Built in the 17th century, Kenwood House was remodelled by Robert Adam in the 1760s. The Great Room or library was created in 1767-1769. This photograph shows the painted panels by Antonio Zucchi enclosed in Adam's delicately decorated ceiling.

Great Dixter, Northiam: the great hall

RIBA5341
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Lutyens restored and extended the house, built in 1464 by the Etchingham family, in 1910-1914.

Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, London: the Long Gallery

RIBA5400
Chute, John (1701-1776)
NOTES: Horace Walpole purchased Strawberry Hill, a follly, in 1747 and spent until 1776 expanding and redecorating it to his own specifications. He was assisted by two friends, the amateur architect, John Chute, and the draughtsman, Richard Bentley. William Robinson of the Royal Office of Works oversaw the construction.

Bath Abbey (or the Abbey Church of St Peter and St Paul), Bath: the restored nave looking towards the east window

RIBA5615
Scott, George Gilbert (1839-1897)
NOTES: This Benedictine abbey church was founded in 1499 and ruined in 1539 during the Dissolution. Restoration of the church to serve as the grand parish church of Bath was promoted by Elizabeth I in 1574 and a new nave timber roof of lath construction had been completed by 1608-1616. Major restoration work was carried out notably to the nave roof by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the 1860s. This was based upon the original vault designed by William and Robert Vertue.
Categories
)
CLOSE