NOTES: Durham Cathedral was founded in 1093. The building dates almost entirely from the 12th century and is widely regarded as the finest example of Norman architecture in Europe. Construction on the nave began in 1099 and lasted until 1128. It was vaulted in 1128-1133.
NOTES: Construction on this cathedral began in 1079 in Norman style. The nave was completely remodelled in Perpendicular style to designs by master mason William Wynford and was completed in the 1400s.
NOTES: A Benedictine abbey was established on this site in the 10th century and it has been the coronation church of English monarchs since 1066. Construction on the present church began in 1245. The Gothic nave was begun in 1376 under Abbot Nicholas Litlyngton (d. 1386), and completed by the master mason, Henry Yevele, in the 1390s.
NOTES: The rebuilding of the Minster in Gothic styles began between 1230 and 1241 with the southern wing of the transept, built by Archbishop de Gray. The north transept was built slightly later by John le Romeyn and completed c.1255. The Five Sisters Window, completed in 1260, contains the largest amount of Early English 'grisaille' glass in a single window, anywhere in the world.
NOTES: The Norman central tower, the 'Angel Steeple', was demolished in the 1430s and reconstructed much taller in Perpendicular style between 1494 and 1505 by John Wastell. The 1288 Bell Harry was installed in 1500.