Uplands Conference Centre, Cryers Hill, High Wycombe: the staircase hall
|Architect/Designer||Lamb, Edward Beckitt (1857-1932)|
|Edward Cullinan Architects|
|Artist/Photographer||Charles, Martin (1940-2012)|
|Library Reference||MC Unreferenced|
|Credit||Martin Charles / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Conference centres ; Country houses ; Entrance halls ; Stairs|
NOTES: Uplands was a country house designed by E. B. Lamb in 1858-1859. In 1956 it was bought by the Cooperative Permanent Building Society (later the Nationwide Building Society) for use as a conference and training centre. A new accommodation block was built alongside the main house in 1958. In 1978 the Nationwide commissioned Edward Cullinan Architects to redevelop the conference centre. The front range of the 1859 house was retained but the service wing and the 1958 building were demolished and replaced, by a new foyer and dining hall, and residential wings. Completed in 1983 the new conference centre opened in May 1984 to mark the Nationwide's centenary celebrations. See RIBA119495 for a black and white version of this image.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.