NOTES: The station closed to passengers in 1969 and fell into a dilapidated state. Conversion on the abandoned building into an exhibition centre began in 1982. This opened in 1986 as the Greater Manchester Exhibition and Events Centre, or G-Mex.
NOTES: An idea of Sir Nigel Gresey, Chief Mechanical Engineer of LNER (London North Eastern Railway), building on this station began in 1936 as a joint project between LNER and LMS (London Midland Railway). Work was suspended during World War II, and the station finally opened in October 1948 under British Railways. Testing of steam locomotives continued until 1959 but the station did not officially close until 1970. The building was demolished in 1984.
NOTES: This arched brick and stone viaduct was built in 1848-1852 to extend the Leeds Northern railway line across the Tees to Stockton and the Durham coalfields. It was designed by Thomas Grainger, engineer for the Leeds Northern Railway.