NOTES: Built by Richard Payne Knight, virtuoso, archaeologist and anthropologist, c.1772-1778, this house is one of the earliest contrived castellated castles. Knight was assisted in the early stages of building by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard.
NOTES: This manor house was saved from complete dereliction when it was purchased by the Telford Development Corporation in 1964 and urgent repairs were subsequently undertaken. It was sold again in 1984 and transformed into a luxury hotel.
NOTES: This is an octagonal pink marble structure inside of which there are sixteen arches, forming alcoves each containing a painted scene. Designed by Benedetto Antelami, who was director of works from 1196 to 1216, it was begun in the Romanesque style and completed in the Gothic.
NOTES: The building of the cathedral comprised three main periods; from 1072-1092; 1191 to c. 1250; and 1256 to c. 1300, with some alterations and additions to the towers in the 14th and 15th centuries.
NOTES: This Saxon church dates from the 11th century. The Knights Templar rebuilt the chancel and the nave on the original Saxon plan and added the present north and south transepts between 1154 and 1120. The timbers of the Rhenish Helm have been dendrochronologically dated to between 1300 and 1330. The helmet of the tower would therefore have been built by the Knights Hospitalllers who took over the church from the suppressed Templars in 1310.