NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.
SOURCE: John Rutter. Delineations of Fonthill and its Abbey ([London]: published by the author, Shaftesbury. London: by Charles Knight and Co.; Longman, Hurst, Robinson, and Co.; Hurst, Robinson, and Co.; John and Arthur Arch, 1823), plate 12