Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Topiary

View as Grid List
Sort by

Parc de Bagatelle, Paris: kiosk of the empress overlooking the rose garden

RIBA25722
Forestier, Jean-Claude Nicolas (1861-1930)
NOTES: The gardens were redeveloped from 1905 by Jean-Claude Nicolas Forestier, a landscape architect and the Commissioner of Gardens for the City of Paris.

Dartington Hall, Dartington, Devon: the tiltyard with the restored medieval hall in the background

RIBA25736
Cane, Percy Stephen (1881-1976)
NOTES: The medieval hall was built between 1388 and 1400 for John Holland, Earl of Huntingdon. It was almost derelict when it was bought in 1925 by Leonard and Dorothy Elmhirst, who undertook its renovation. Dorothy Elmhirst was repsonsible for the creation of the gardens with the landscape designers Beatrix Farrand and Percy Cane. The Tiltyard is thought to be the remains of an Elizabethan water garden.

Kinghtshayes Court, Bolham, Devon: Pool Garden

RIBA25744
Roper, Lanning (1912-1983)
NOTES: Knightshayes Court, a Victorian country house, was designed by William Burges in 1868 for John Heathcote. The gardens were developed by Sir John Heathcote and his wife Lady Joyce Amory in 1920s following a Victorian design of 'garden' rooms, formal terraces, a kitchen garden and woodland gardens. Lanning Roper assisted with the Pool Garden.

Great Dixter, Northiam: view of the house from the east

RIBA25748
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: A timber-framed hall house dating from 1464, built originally by the Etchingham family. It was restored and extended by Lutyens from 1910-1914, for the then owner Nathaniel Lloyd.

Great Dixter, Northiam: the steps to the terrace with the yew garden beyond

RIBA25749
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: A timber-framed hall house dating from 1464, built originally by the Etchingham family. It was restored and extended by Lutyens from 1910-1914, for the then owner Nathaniel Lloyd.

Great Dixter, Northiam: the topiary garden

RIBA25750
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: A timber-framed hall house dating from 1464, built originally by the Etchingham family. It was restored and extended by Lutyens from 1910-1914, for the then owner Nathaniel Lloyd.

Levens Hall, Cumbria: view of the house from the topiary garden

RIBA25760
Beaumont, Guillaume (fl. 1689-1712)
NOTES: This Elizabethan house became the property of Colonel James Grahame in 1688 after his career at Court in the service of King James II. He employed a young French gardener, Guillaume Beaumont, a pupil of Le Notre at Versailles, to plan a fashionable garden in 1689-1712. The garden has survived in its original design and the topiary is some of the oldest in the world.

Levens Hall, Cumbria: the topiary garden

RIBA25761
Beaumont, Guillaume (fl. 1689-1712)
NOTES: This Elizabethan house became the property of Colonel James Grahame in 1688 after his career at Court in the service of King James II. He employed a young French gardener, Guillaume Beaumont, a pupil of Le Notre at Versailles, to plan a fashionable garden in 1689-1712. The garden has survived in its original design and the topiary is some of the oldest in the world.

Hilltop chateau, Gruyeres: view from the chateau of the formal garden and garden-house

RIBA27972
NOTES: This chateau existed as early as the 12th century and was almost completely rebuilt after 1480. It became the seat of the Fribourg Langvogts from 1555, was sold to the Bovy family in 1938 and was bought back by the state of Fribourg in 1938.

Hidcote Manor Gardens, Chipping Camdpen: paeonies in the Pillar garden

RIBA28154
Johnston, Lawrence (1871-1958)
NOTES: Lawrence Johnston began the gardens in 1907 and by 1918 had formed the main outlines of the garden.

Sissinghurst Castle Garden: the Herb Garden

RIBA28155
Sackville-West, Vita (Victoria Mary) (1892-1962)
Close
)
CLOSE