NOTES: This smart red-brick villa was built in 1631 by Samuel Fortrey, a successful Flemish merchant, and was known as the 'Dutch House'. It was purchased by George III in 1781 as a nursery for the royal children.
NOTES: In 1789, Sir Henry Raeburn acquired the estate of Deanhaugh to the northwest of the New Town. Construction to extend the estate to the west of Stockbridge began in 1813 under the direction of James Milne. Ann Street, in which unusually each house has a front garden, was completed in 1823.