NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior.
NOTES: Dates from approximately 1638. The tower was built in 1707, the presbytery vault around 1720 and the whole church rebuilt in 1760. In 1847 the principal facade was renovated. See RIBA146382 for a black and white version of this image.