Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Tombs

View as Grid List
Sort by

Sant'Andrea, Mantua: the dome of the Mantegna funerary chapel

RIBA130536
Alberti, Leon Battista (1404-1472)
NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior. This is the funerary chapel of Andrea Mantegna and contains his tomb. The frescoes have been attributed to his son Francesco (circa 1470-after 1517) and Antonio Correggio.

Sant'Andrea, Mantua: the Mantegna funerary chapel

RIBA130537
Alberti, Leon Battista (1404-1472)
NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior. This is the funerary chapel of Andrea Mantegna and contains his tomb. The frescoes have been attributed to his son Francesco (circa 1470-after 1517) and Antonio Correggio.

San Frediano, Lucca: detail of pavement tombs

RIBA136198
NOTES: The church of San Frediano, dedicated to Fredianus an Irish-born saint and bishop of Lucca, was rebuilt in 1112-1147 over the remains of a 6th century basilica. Its facade dates from the 13th century (restored in the 19th century) and the tall campanile was restored in 1853.

St Andrew and St Mary, Grantchester, Cambridgeshire: detail of windows

RIBA137451
Blomfield, Alfred William (1879-1949)
NOTES: The church is of Saxon/Norman origin and there are fragments of that date, which were placed here by A.W. Blomfield in 1877. The majority of the present church dates from 1340-1350 (chancel) with a tower of 1388-1426.

Saint Peter and Saint Paul Lavenham, Suffolk: detail of floor tomb

RIBA137621
Caroe, William Douglas (1857-1938)
NOTES: The church was built between 1486-1525; the tower dates from 1486-1495, with the upper parts constructed as part of the second building campaign 1517-1525. The interior of the church was restored by by F. C. Penrose in 1861-1867 with further repairs and reordering by W. D. Caroe; 1909-1910.
)
CLOSE