Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Tombs

View as Grid List
Sort by

St Lawrence, Mereworth, Kent

RIBA6724
NOTES: This church was built for John Fane, Earl of Westmorland, and its design has been attributed to Colen Campbell, James Gibbs, Thomas Archer and Roger Morris.

St Mary, Swinbrook, Oxfordshire: the Sir Edmund Fettiplace monument framed by fluted Corinthian columns bearing a segmental pediment

RIBA6734
NOTES: This monument, one of a series dedicated to the Fettiplaces in the church, was erected by Sir Edmund (d.1613) and includes reclining effigies of himself on the top tier, and his father and grandfather below.

St Mary, Warwick: the Beauchamp Chapel

RIBA6744
NOTES: The Beauchamp Chapel was begun in 1443, completed in 1464 and consecrated in 1475.

St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden, Essex: the two-storey south porch seen from the graveyard

RIBA6776
NOTES: The original Norman church of 1130 was rebuilt and enlarged in Decorated style in 1250-1258. General rebuilding in Perpendicular style began in 1450, and the church is considered to be one of the finest churches in the county of Essex.

St Andrew, Sandon, Essex: the west tower and south porch seen from the graveyard

RIBA6780
NOTES: The nave and chancel are Norman construction while the west tower and the rib-vaulted south porch were added early in the 16th century in red brick with diaperwork of blue bricks

St Mary the Virgin, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex: detail of the coloured recumbent effigy of Hester Salusbury (d.1614) in hunting clothes in the north aisle

RIBA6781
NOTES: Hester Salusbury was reputedly killed by a stag while hunting in Stansted Park in 1614 and this memorial to her was commissioned by her father, Thomas Middleton of Stansted Hall (d.1631).

Chapel Royal of St Peter- ad -Vincula, Tower Green, Tower of London: memorial tomb to Sir John Holland, Duke of Exeter, and a Constable of the Tower (d. 1447)

RIBA6864
NOTES: This chapel has been the parish church of the Tower of London since 1520 and is a Royal Peculiar. It is probably best known as the burial place of some of the most famous prisoners executed on Tower Green.

St Andrew, Bere Ferrers, Devon: monument to Sir William Ferrers and his wife, Isolda, on the north side of the chancel

RIBA6875
NOTES: Sir William Ferrer was the founder of the church which was built in 1246. The church was rebuilt c.1300-1305.

St Bartholomew, Tong, Shropshire: the alabaster tomb of Sir Richard Vernon of Haddon Hall, Treasurer of Calais (d.1451) and his wife, Benedicta of Ludlow under the south crossing

RIBA6923
NOTES: This church was built in 1409-1425 by Lady Isabel de Pembrugge (d.1446) in memory of her relatives. The only later addition was the Vernon Chantry, the so-called 'Golden Chapel', built in 1515-1519 to the south side of the south aisle. The church was restored by Ewan Christian, which was completed in 1892.
)
CLOSE