SOURCE: Building News, vol. LXX, 1896 Apr. 10, p. 531 NOTES: Designed in 1895 by Grayson & Ould for James Darcy Lever, junior partner in the firm of Lever Brothers, this half-timber house was enlarged by James Lomax-Simpson in 1906.
NOTES: The Guild Chapel, rebuilt in the 1490s, was the original meeting place of the Gild of the Holy Cross, founded before 1269. The Grammar School was built in 1417 as the Guildhall of the Gild and was where the corporation met up to the 19th century. The Upper Guildhall became the town's school room in 1553, when King Edward VI entrusted the former Guild's School to the corporation. The almshouses were also built by the Gild as a hospice for its retired members and dependents and date to c. 1427.