Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Timber framing

View as Grid List
Sort by

Little Moreton Hall, Cheshire: bridge entrance over the moat

RIBA5384
NOTES: This moated manor house is an exemplar of the timber-framed Tudor black-and-white house. The earliest part of the Hall was probably built by Richard de Moreton in the mid 15th century. The west, or kitchen end was built (or rebuilt) by William Moreton c.1480. The last major extension was the south wing added in 1570-1580. The 'domestic block' was added to the south wing in the early 1600s.

Stokesay Castle, Shropshire: close-up of the gatehouse

RIBA5389
NOTES: Completed at the end of the 13th century by the wool merchant, Lawrence of Ludlow, this is an important example of one of the earliest fortified houses of England. The gatehouse was added in 1640.

Stokesay Castle, Shropshire: the great hall with the Jacobean gatehouse in the background

RIBA5392
NOTES: Completed at the end of the 13th century by the wool merchant, Lawrence of Ludlow, this is an important example of one of the earliest fortified houses of England. The gatehouse was added in 1640.

Grammar School, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon: the schoolroom in the Over Hall on the upper storey

RIBA5397
NOTES: The Grammar School was originally the guildhall of the Gild of the Holy Cross, the ruling body of Stratford to the time of the Dissolution. The ground floor was the guildhall proper while the Over Hall became the town's school room. King Edward VI, having suppressed the Gild, entrusted the guild's school to the town corporation in 1553 after which it was known as Edward VI Grammar School. It is generally believed that William Shakespeare was educated in this room.

Waagehaus (the old weigh-house), Wool Market, Braunschweig

RIBA6453
NOTES: The Waagehaus (the old weigh-house) was constructed in 1534 as a weighing and storage house. From 1854-1862 the structure, which had become neglected and dilapidated, was restored by Friedrich Krahe. During this restoration, far-reaching changes were made to the fa+â-ºade, which were largely reversed in 1937-1939. The building was destroyed by bombing during the night of October 14th-15th, 1944, along with the entire New City. It was rebuilt down to the last detail in 1994 and was subsequently used by the Volkshochschule.

Gardener's cottage, Culver Hill, Penshurst, Kent

RIBA6466
Devey, George (1820-1886)

South Lodge, Mentmore, Buckinghamshire

RIBA6467
Devey, George (1820-1886)
Categories
)
CLOSE