NOTES: Completed at the end of the 13th century by the wool merchant, Lawrence of Ludlow, this is an important example of one of the earliest fortified houses of England. The gatehouse was added in 1640.
NOTES: This moated manor house is an exemplar of the timber-framed Tudor black-and-white house. The earliest part of the Hall was probably built by Richard de Moreton in the mid 15th century. The west, or kitchen end was built (or rebuilt) by William Moreton c.1480. The last major extension was the south wing added in 1570-1580. The 'domestic block' was added to the south wing in the early 1600s.
Milton Keynes Development Corporation. Architects Department
NOTES: Milton Keynes, which incorporated the existing towns of Bletchley, Wolverton and Stony Stratford along with another fifteen villages and farmland in between, was designated a new town in 1967 and planning control was thus taken from elected local authorities and delegated to the Milton Keynes Development Corporation (MKDC). The choice of prefabricated construction materials for this development was partly a consequence of a shortage of bricks in the UK at the time.
NOTES: Havard House was the home of Katherine Rogers (1584-1635), mother of the English clergyman John Havard (1607-1638), whose bequest made possible the foundation of Harvard University. It is owned, together with five Shakespeare houses in and around Stratford-upon-Avon, by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust that cares for Shakespeare's heritage.