NOTES: A castle existed on the site since the 12th century but only some ruins remained by the 19th when the Duke of Saxe-Meiningen began the building of the Schloss as a summer retreat, although it was seldom used. The designers of the building were Dobner and von Heideloff and construction began in 1836. When the Duke was in England to attend the funeral of his brother-in-law William IV he requested Wyatville to provide details and alterations to the design of the Rittersaal or Knight's Hall. The building is now a hotel.
NOTES: The sketches are from a volume containing mounted and unmounted sketches of birds and animals. Both sketches are labelled with colour notes; the Donald Gunn sketch (lower one, p.50B) is initialled by the artist and 'sketch by Donald Gunn' in Voysey's hand at bottom. The Voysey sketch (upper one, p.51) served as a model for the John Dory in a design for a textile showing fish under water, dated September 1929 (see RIBA94946).
NOTES: Kenneth Bayes was a member of the Design Research Unit. His projects were very much influenced by the expressive and organic architectural language of the German architect Rudolf Steiner, the key protaganist of the Theosophical movement.