NOTES: Incorporating the former Premier Electric cinema as entrance hall, cafe and lounge area, this cinema was taken over by the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Ltd (PCT) in 1929. It was renamed Gaumont in 1952 and closed as a cinema in 1963. It reopened as a Top Rank Club for bingo, later renamed Mecca, which closed in 2005. In spite of being a fine example of an early cinema, it was never designated listed status and was demolished in 2009.
NOTES: This building comprises three independent types of structure: an in-situ reinforced concrete frame which holds together the main body of the cathedral; the sixteen load-bearing brick or concrete perimeter buildings, and the flat slab of the outdoor podium supported by concrete columns of load-bearing brick walls.
NOTES: In 1930 Sir Edwin Lutyens was commissioned to design the second Roman Catholic cathedral to contrast with the Gothic Revival Anglican cathedral of Giles Gilbert Scott being erected on the other end of Hope Street from 1904. Construction on Lutyens's massive structure began in 1933 but was suspended in 1941 due to wartime restrictions. Work recommenced on the crypt in 1956 and it was completed in 1958. Thereafter Lutyens's design was considered onerously expensive and was abandoned with only the crypt complete.
NOTES: Closed as an Odeon and taken over by Classic in 1972, this cinema definitively closed in 2002. The building was converted into 'The Old Cinema Bed and Sofa Store' which opened in 2004. The original exterior remains intact and most of the interior decoration has been retained.
NOTES: Commissioned by Vickers Ltd and financed by Legal & General Assurance Society, this redevelopment consists of three main sections: the 34-storey tower and 8-storey Y-shaped block, and an 11-storey residential block.
NOTES: The National Westminster Bank (NatWest) Tower remained the tallest building in the City of London until the erection of the nearby Heron Tower in 2009. Badly damaged in the Bishopsgate bombing of 1993, the tower was subsequently entirely reclad and refurbished internally and renamed Tower 42.