NOTES: Beginning in 1856, George Devey undertook a major remodelling of Betteshanger House and grounds which continued into the 1880s after Devey had died. The house originated as a modest villa by Robert Lugar for F. R. Morrice in 1829 (see RIBA17755 and RIBA17756).
NOTES: The church dates mainly from the 14th and early 15th century, although there is 13th-century work in the west tower. The interior, except the chancel which is early Tudor, was remodelled in 1617. In the 19th century the church underwent restoration, by J. P. St Aubyn c. 1877-1883, with restoration of the tower in 1898-1899 by Detmar Blow.