Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.


View as Grid List
Sort by

Sherborne Abbey, Dorset: the Coats of Arms of Edward VI between twisted colonnettes with a sundial above

NOTES: A Benedictine abbey was established at Sherborne in the 10th century. The abbey church was greatly extended in the 14th century while the east end was completely rebuilt after a fire in 1437. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 and its church served as the parish church thereafter. Some of the abbey buildings were turned over to the Edward VI Grammar school founded by the eponymous monarch in 1550.

Old Place, Lindfield, East Sussex

NOTES: This Elizabethan manor house was purchased in 1875 by the Victorian stained glass artist, Charles Kempe, who greatly extended it in lavish Elizabethan style.

Shermans, High Street, Dedham, Essex: the main facade with sundial and a doorway with pediment on Corinthian pilasters

NOTES: The elaborate frontage is the result of extensive remodelling carried out in 1730-1731. The last private owner of this house was the architect Marshall Sisson, who bequeathed it to The National Trust in 1978.

Houses in Church Street, Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire

NOTES: The town of Bletchley, along with those of Wolverton, Stony Stratford and Milton Keynes, is part of the urban area of Milton Keynes, designated a new town in 1967.

Flat 85, Speed House, Barbican Estate, City of London: the living area

Chamberlin Powell & Bon
NOTES: This complex of arts buildings and housing covers seven acres in the City of London. Built between 1971 and 1982, it regenerated an area which had been badly bombed during World War II. The estate has three residential towers: Cromwell Tower, completed in 1973; Shakespeare Tower, completed in 1976, and Lauderdale Tower, completed in 1974. The complex was Grade II listed in 2001.

North Quad, All Souls, Oxford: Codrington Library and sundial seen from the narrow passageway from South Quad

Hawksmoor, Nicholas (1661-1736)
NOTES: The sundial was made for the Front Quad in 1658 and its design is attributed to Sir Christopher Wren who was Bursar that year. It was moved from between the south-facing pinnacles of the chapel to its present location in the nineteenth century.

Front Quad, Corpus Christi College, Oxford: the gate tower and sundial

NOTES: The two storey quad dates from the time of the college's foundation by Richard Foxe, Bishop of Winchester, in 1517. The battlements were added in 1625. The sundial in the middle of the quad dates from 1581 with 17th alterations. The original pillar was designed by Charles Turnbull, while the perpetual calendar was added in the early 17th century.

Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge: the Gate of Honour

Caius, John (1511-1573)
NOTES: The Gate of Virtue, also designed by John Caius, is visible on the right.