NOTES: Erected in 1926-1928 under the supervision of Sydney Perks, then Surveyor to the City of London, these buildings were extensions to the west of the original 19th century wholesale, fruit and flower market between Crispin and Steward Streets. The market was relocated to a new site in Leyton in 1991. These buildings were controversially demolished to make way for Bishop's Square, the mixed-use development which includes the headquarters of Allen & Overy designed by Foster & Partners and built in 2003-2005.
NOTES: This photograph, taken prior to the rebuilding of the bank, comes from the Francis William Troup archive held at the RIBA Library. Troup was a consultant architect to the Bank of England and prepared designs for the rebuilding of the Threadneedle site in 1920. The commission was given to Sir Herbert Baker in 1921 with whom Troup worked initially as supervising architect.