NOTES: Designed by Francesco de Sanctis, the monumental Baroque staircase of 138 steps was built in 1723-1726 to link the Bourbon Spanish Embassy in Piazza di Spagna to the Renaissance church of Trinita' dei Monti, consecrated in 1585.
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, September 1970. Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.