NOTES: The practice of using the purely symbolic 'Tudor Crown' (as seen on the K2) as the symbol of government was dispensed with on the accession of Elizabeth II in 1952 and instead a representation of the actual crown generally used for British coronations, the St Edward's Crown, was used. This new symbol therefore began to appear on the fascias of K6 kiosks.
NOTES: This page is part of sketchbook II of interior details of Carlton House. The drawings date from between 1787 and 1795 and were probably drawn by two of Holland's assistants, Charles Heathcote Tatham and Jean Pierre Theodore Trecourt. The house was demolished in 1825 and replaced by Carlton House Terrace, designed by John Nash.
NOTES: Woburn Abbey became the seat of the Russell family in 1547 and of the Dukes of Bedford from 1694. The Abbey was largely rebuilt between 1744 and 1790 by Henry Flitcroft and Henry Holland. The house and park were opened to the public in 1955.