NOTES: Most of the cathedral dates from the 13th century when it was rebuilt in Gothic style under the leadership of St Hugh, Bishop from 1186-1200. The west front incorporates the surviving part of the first Romanesque cathedral dating from 1072.
NOTES: The Temple Bar, the only surviving gateway to the City of London, was moved from its original site in Fleet Street in 1878. It was re-erected in Theobalds Park in 1888, forming a grand entrance to the country estate. Its reconstruction at Paternoster Square next to St Paul's Cathedral was completed in November 2004.
NOTES: Completed at the end of the 13th century by the wool merchant, Lawrence of Ludlow, this is an important example of one of the earliest fortified houses of England. The gatehouse was added in 1640.