Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Statues

View as Grid List
Sort by

All Souls College, Oxford: the Codrington Library

RIBA6581
Cheere, John (1709-1787)
NOTES: The statue of Christopher Codrington is by John Cheere.

St Helen, Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire: detail of the Garrad Monument showing Sir John Garrad and Elizabeth, his wife

RIBA6716
NOTES: The Garrard Monument is located on the west wall of the north transept and is undated. Crafted in marble of various colours, it consists of a round arch surmounted by a broken entablature and supported on Corinthian columns of blue marble. Within the arch lie the semi-reclining figures of Sir John (died c.1637) and Elizabeth Garrad. The kneeling figures of six sons and eight daughters, carved in high relief, adorn the base of the monument.

St Bartholomew, Quorndon, Leicestershire: detail from the monument to John Farnham (d.1587), showing him in full active life on the battelfield

RIBA6725
Evesham, Epiphanius (1570-1634)
NOTES: The tomb is attributed to the Elizabethan sculptor Epiphanius Evesham.

St Mary, Swinbrook, Oxfordshire: the Sir Edmund Fettiplace monument framed by fluted Corinthian columns bearing a segmental pediment

RIBA6734
NOTES: This monument, one of a series dedicated to the Fettiplaces in the church, was erected by Sir Edmund (d.1613) and includes reclining effigies of himself on the top tier, and his father and grandfather below.

St Mary the Virgin, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex: detail of the coloured recumbent effigy of Hester Salusbury (d.1614) in hunting clothes in the north aisle

RIBA6781
NOTES: Hester Salusbury was reputedly killed by a stag while hunting in Stansted Park in 1614 and this memorial to her was commissioned by her father, Thomas Middleton of Stansted Hall (d.1631).

St Bartholomew, Tong, Shropshire: the alabaster tomb of Sir Richard Vernon of Haddon Hall, Treasurer of Calais (d.1451) and his wife, Benedicta of Ludlow under the south crossing

RIBA6923
NOTES: This church was built in 1409-1425 by Lady Isabel de Pembrugge (d.1446) in memory of her relatives. The only later addition was the Vernon Chantry, the so-called 'Golden Chapel', built in 1515-1519 to the south side of the south aisle. The church was restored by Ewan Christian, which was completed in 1892.

St Bartholomew, Tong, Shropshire: the alabaster tomb of Sir Richard Vernon of Haddon Hall, Treasurer of Calais (d.1451) and his wife, Benedicta of Ludlow under the south crossing

RIBA6924
Christian, Ewan (1814-1895)
NOTES: This church was built in 1409-1425 by Lady Isabel de Pembrugge (d.1446) in memory of her relatives. The only later addition was the Vernon Chantry, the so-called 'Golden Chapel', built in 1515-1519 to the south side of the south aisle. The church was restored by Ewan Christian, which was completed in 1892.

Westport House, County Mayo: the grand staircase in the entrance hall dominated by the marble statue by Charles Francis Fuller

RIBA6997
Cassels, Richard (1690-1751)
NOTES: Richard Cassels, a German architect living in Ireland, was engaged by John Browne, later the first Earl of Altamont, in 1732 to design the present east facade as part of a classical house laid out around the core of the earlier fortified house, O' Malley Castle. The house was further extended in the 1770s, but the two wings at the back of house were never completed. The artificial lake was created by the second Earl of Altamont (d.1780).
Close
)
CLOSE