SOURCE: John Nash. The Royal Pavilion at Brighton (London, 1826), pl. 26 NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.
NOTES: This palatial country house was designed as a summer residence for Lothar Franz von Schonburg (1655-1729) by Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt and built in 1711-1718. The luxury stable was designed by Maximillian von Welsch.