Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

St Pancras Station

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.

View as Grid List
Sort by

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: platform with train

RIBA6659
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the train shed

RIBA10246
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
SOURCE: Building News, vol. XVI, 1869 Mar. 26, p. 278-279 NOTES: The train shed engineered by W. H. Barlow, on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.

Designs for St Pancras Station and the Midland Grand Hotel, Euston Road, London: working drawing of various exterior elevations

RIBA13213
Scott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
NOTES: St Pancras Station opened in 1868 while the Midland Grand Hotel opened in 1874. It was converted into offices in 1935.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: details of the girders and columns for the undercroft of the train shed

RIBA16718
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
SOURCE: RIBA Transactions, vol. 21, 1870-1871, pl. before p. 117

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the train shed

RIBA24799
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: The train shed on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the clock above the gate to platform 3

RIBA30903
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: William Barlow was responsible for the train shed while Sir G. G. Scott was architect for the rest of the infrastructure.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: a vehicle entrance arch to the train shed

RIBA49853
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: William Barlow was responsible for the train shed while Sir G. G. Scott was architect for the other structures.

Design for St Pancras Station and the Midland Grand Hotel, Euston Road, London: the east elevation including the south part of shed

RIBA54387
Scott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
NOTES: St Pancras Station opened in 1868 while the Midland Grand Hotel opened in 1873. It was converted into offices in 1935.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the train shed

RIBA59938
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: The train shed on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the train shed seen from the concourse

RIBA64205
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: The train shed on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the train shed seen from the platform approach

RIBA64206
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: The train shed on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: structural detail of the train shed

RIBA64207
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: The train shed on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the train shed

RIBA64208
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: The train shed on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.

St Pancras Station, Euston Road, London: the train shed clock

RIBA64209
Barlow, William Henry (1812-1902)
NOTES: The train shed on its completion in 1868 became the largest enclosed space in the world.
)
CLOSE