NOTES: Originally a Norman cruciform church, the plan of the present church was completed by the end of the 14th century. The central tower dates from around 1290 while the leaden brooch spire is a reconstruction of a Medieval version added during the restoration work of 1865-1866 carried out by Edward Browning.
NOTES: This church was built for John Fane, Earl of Westmorland, and its design has been attributed to Colen Campbell, James Gibbs, Thomas Archer and Roger Morris. The spire is a copy of St Giles-in-the Fields, London, by Henry Flitcroft.
NOTES: All Souls was designed by John Nash and built in 1822-1824. Severe damage to the roof was sustained following a World War II mine explosion in 1940, necessitating an extensive restoration scheme under the direction of H. S. Goodhart-Rendel which was completed in 1951.
NOTES: The design of this church has been attributed to Benjamin Timbrell, one of the leading carpenters and master builders in Georgian London, since he was the principal member of the group of 'undertakers' contracted to builld it. Completed in 1730, it formed the model used for many New England churches.
NOTES: This church, known as 'Wren's Lantern', suffered relatively minor damage during World War II, repairs to which were carried out in 1954. Such works led to the discovery of death-watch beetle in the roof timbers, and the Church was closed until 1963.
NOTES: The Early English style tower is early 13th century while the remainder is Victorian. The north aisle was restored by George Gilbert Scott in 1860 and the south aisle and clerestory by William Butterfield in 1872.