NOTES: This drawing was executed to illustrate a publication or paper on Indian architecture entitled 'Fragments of Indian Architecture selected principally from the excavations in the Mountain of Elora near Aurungabad in the Degan as also from the Island of Eliphanta Bombay.'
NOTES: This drawing is one of a number made by Anthony Salvin Jnr, the son of Anthony Salvin, while a pupil at his father's architectural practice. Salvin Snr was responsible for supervising the extensive restoration of Wells Cathedral choir from 1847 to 1857.
NOTES: Part of the Burlington Devonshire Collection, this drawing is by an unidentified 16th century Italian architect. The tabernacle takes the form of a three-bayed temple building, the central vestibule containing the host flanked by angels. Sketched faces of praying nuns can be seen in the windows on either side.