NOTES: The Ancient High House in Stafford, was a grand timber-framed town house built for the Dorrington family in 1595. The insertion of three shops on the ground floor in 1885 damaged the sandstone plinth and undermined the structure and affected the visual coherence of the whole design. The whole building was restored from 1976-1986, although this room became part of a tourist informaton bureau. See RIBA130595 and RIBA130614 for a view before it was brought into use as a shop. See also RIBA88670 for the print version of this image.