Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Shopping centres

View as Grid List
Sort by

Town centre, Cumbernauld New Town: framed view

RIBA23348
Cumbernauld Development Corporation
NOTES: Created as a population overspill for Glasgow City, Cumbernauld was designated a new town in 1955. Leslie Hugh Wilson was the first Chief Architect to the Cumbernauld Development Corporation (CDC) which oversaw the development, promotion and management of the New Town until 1996. He was succeeded in 1962 by Dudley Roberts Leaker.

Stone Cross, Harlow, Essex: the shopping precinct with Hugh's Tower in the background

RIBA23350
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Stow neighbourhood shopping centre, Harlow, Essex

RIBA23351
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Shopping centre, Harlow, Essex: the pedestrian precinct of the town's earliest neighbourhood

RIBA23352
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Market Square, Harlow, Essex: view from a pedestrian short-cut to the car park

RIBA23355
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Shopping centre, Harlow, Essex

RIBA23360
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Killingworth shopping centre, North Tyneside

RIBA23381
Newman Levinson & Partners
NOTES: The building of Killingworth Township began in 1963, was undertaken by Northumberland County Council and was not sponsored by the Government.

Killingworth shopping centre, North Tyneside

RIBA23384
Newman Levinson & Partners
NOTES: The building of Killingworth Township began in 1963, was undertaken by Northumberland County Council and was not sponsored by the Government.The shopping centre was designed by Newman Levinson & Partners and completed in the early 1970s.

Killingworth shopping centre, North Tyneside

RIBA23385
Newman Levinson & Partners
NOTES: The building of Killingworth Township began in 1963, was undertaken by Northumberland County Council and was not sponsored by the Government.The shopping centre was designed by Newman Levinson & Partners and completed in the early 1970s.

Central Milton Keynes Shopping Centre, Buckinghamshhire

RIBA23396
Milton Keynes Development Corporation. Architects Department
NOTES: Milton Keynes, which incorporated the existing towns of Bletchley, Wolverton and Stony Stratford along with another fifteen villages and farmland in between, was designated a new town in 1967 and planning control was thus taken from elected local authorities and delegated to the Milton Keynes Development Corporation (MKDC).

New Church Farm, Skelmersdale, Lancashire: the shopping centre and main town footpath

RIBA23418
Lyddon, Derek
NOTES: Skelmersdale in Lancashire, designed to house overspill population from the north of Liverpool, was designated a New Town in 1961. New Church Farm was built in 1964-1967 on the eastern side of old Skelmersdale. Derek Lyddon was the chief architect.

New Church Farm, Skelmersdale, Lancashire: elevated view of the shops and main town footpath

RIBA23419
Lyddon, Derek
NOTES: Skelmersdale in Lancashire, designed to house overspill population from the north of Liverpool, was designated a New Town in 1961. New Church Farm was built in 1964-1967 on the eastern side of old Skelmersdale. Derek Lyddon was the chief architect.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE