Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Shopping centres

View as Grid List
Sort by

Design for flats and a shopping precinct

RIBA20330
Norcliffe, Arthur James (1893-1974)

Town Square, Basildon, Essex: view across the shopping precinct towards the west facade of Brooke House

RIBA23337
Basildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. The Town Centre is dominated by Brooke House, a 14 storey residential tower block designed by Sir Basil Spence and completed in 1962. It was given Grade II listed status in 1998.

Town Square, Basildon, Essex: view across the shopping precinct towards the west facade of Brooke House

RIBA23338
Basildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. The Town Centre is dominated by Brooke House, a 14 storey residential tower block designed by Sir Basil Spence and completed in 1962. It was given Grade II listed status in 1998.

East Walk, Town Centre, Basildon, Essex, with Brooke House in the background

RIBA23339
Basildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. The Town Centre is dominated by Brooke House, a 14 storey residential tower block designed by Sir Basil Spence and completed in 1962. It was given Grade II listed status in 1998.

Town centre phase 1, Cumbernauld New Town: a litter box on an access deck to Galbraith's supermarket

RIBA23343
Cumbernauld Development Corporation
NOTES: Created as a population overspill for Glasgow City, Cumbernauld was designated a new town in 1955. Leslie Hugh Wilson was the first Chief Architect to the Cumbernauld Development Corporation (CDC) which oversaw the development, promotion and management of the New Town until 1996. He was succeeded in 1962 by Dudley Roberts Leaker.

Town centre phase 1, Cumbernauld New Town, seen from the town terrace

RIBA23344
Cumbernauld Development Corporation
NOTES: Created as a population overspill for Glasgow City, Cumbernauld was designated a new town in 1955. Leslie Hugh Wilson was the first Chief Architect to the Cumbernauld Development Corporation (CDC) which oversaw the development, promotion and management of the New Town until 1996. He was succeeded in 1962 by Dudley Roberts Leaker.

Town centre phase 1, Cumbernauld New Town: south car park

RIBA23347
Cumbernauld Development Corporation
NOTES: Created as a population overspill for Glasgow City, Cumbernauld was designated a new town in 1955. Leslie Hugh Wilson was the first Chief Architect to the Cumbernauld Development Corporation (CDC) which oversaw the development, promotion and management of the New Town until 1996. He was succeeded in 1962 by Dudley Roberts Leaker.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE