Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Ships

View as Grid List
Sort by

Billingsgate fishmarket, Billingsgate Wharf, Lower Thames Street, London

RIBA15429
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. I, pl. 9 NOTES: Billingsgate fishmarket was originally situated in the streets around Billingsgate Wharf and was officially established as a fishmarket by an Act of Parliament in 1698. The City Corporation moved the market off the streets in 1849 to a new building on the waterfront. This was demolished and replaced by an arcaded market hall in 1875.

West India Docks, Isle of Dogs, London

RIBA15511
Jessop, William (1745-1814)
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. III, pl. 92

Naumachia (staged naval battle) in an amphitheatre

RIBA16221
SOURCE: Fischer von Erlach. Entwurff einer historischen Architectur (Leipzig, 1725), book 2, pl. VI

HMS Victory, Portsmouth Naval Dockyard, Hampshire: the bows and figurehead

RIBA17257
Slade, Sir Thomas (1703/4-1771)
NOTES: The Victory was designed by Sir Thomas Slade, the Senior Surveyor of the Navy. She was the flagship of the Second Sea Lord and is best known for her role in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 under the command of Admiral Nelson. She was moved from moorings in Portsmouth Harbour to Number 2 dry dock at Portsmouth Royal Naval Dockyard in 1922 when work began restoring her to her 'fighting' condition of 1805.

Quadrangle, Sheerness Naval Dockyard, Kent, seen from the dockside

RIBA17284
Holl, Edward (d. 1824)
NOTES: John Rennie was the engineer who surveyed and designed the new Dockyard for Sheerness, which was completed by his son after his death. Edward Holl, civil architect to Admiralty, and his successor George Ledwell Taylor, are thought to be responsible for the designs of the main brick buildings.

HMS Victory, Portsmouth Naval Dockyard, Hampshire: the bows and figurehead

RIBA17482
Slade, Sir Thomas (1703/4-1771)
NOTES: The Victory was designed by Sir Thomas Slade, the Senior Surveyor of the Navy. She was the flagship of the Second Sea Lord and is best known for her role in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 under the command of Admiral Nelson. She was moved from moorings in Portsmouth Harbour to Number 2 dry dock at Portsmouth Royal Naval Dockyard in 1922 when work began restoring her to her 'fighting' condition of 1805.
)
CLOSE