NOTES: The Victory was designed by Sir Thomas Slade, the Senior Surveyor of the Navy. She was the flagship of the Second Sea Lord and is best known for her role in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 under the command of Admiral Nelson. She was moved from moorings in Portsmouth Harbour to Number 2 dry dock at Portsmouth Royal Naval Dockyard in 1922 when work began restoring her to her 'fighting' condition of 1805.
NOTES: Originally known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, this 40-acre cemetery was consecrated in 1837. William Tite, who was the architect for the development company, was responsible for the landscaping and the design of some of the monuments.