NOTES: Destroyed in 1948, the old Hurva Synaogue was built between 1856-1864 in a Neo-Byzantine style by the Turkish architect Assad Effendi. The arch of one of the facades was reconstructed in 1976 as a symbol of the old building. There were unsuccessful schemes by Louis Kahn to replace the synagogue in the 1968-1973 and by Denys Lasdun in 1978-1982. A new building following closely the design of the old was built in 2010 by the architect Nahum Meltzer.
NOTES: Work on the bell tower began at the end of the 14th century, but it was not completed until the end of the 16th century. The first floor is in Gothic style and was built by Masters Stejpan and Matej. After it had been demolished by the Venetians in 1420, it was restored by Matija Gojkovic. At 47 metres high, it is one of the tallest bell towers in the region.
NOTES: This image is one of many taken by Ivy de Wolfe, the pseudonym of Hazel de Cronin Hastings, of Italian subjects. Many of these appeared in the book 'The Italian Townscape' by Ivor de Wolfe (London, Architectural Press, 1963).