NOTES: This Elizabethan manor house, based on a double courtyard, with a central red-brick tower, was built by Sir Richard Baker in 1560-1570. It was saved from dereliction when Vita Sackville-West and Nigel Nicolson bought Sissinghurst, which included 400 acres of farmland, in 1930.
NOTES: The Grammar School was originally the guildhall of the Gild of the Holy Cross, the ruling body of Stratford to the time of the Dissolution. The ground floor was the guildhall proper while the Over Hall became the town's school room. King Edward VI, having suppressed the Gild, entrusted the guild's school to the town corporation in 1553 after which it was known as Edward VI Grammar School. It is generally believed that William Shakespeare was educated in this room.