Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Seating

View as Grid List
Sort by

Opera House, Glyndebourne, Sussex: detail of seating on the upper tier

RIBA149350
Michael Hopkins & Partners
NOTES: The original house at Glyndebourne was part of Glynde Place and dates back to the 15th century, but has been substantially altered over the subsequent centuries. In 1870 the house was enlarged and encased in red brick by the then owner William Langham Christie. In 1934 John Christie built the first opera house in the garden, consequently making the site world famous for the quality of the performances staged there. In 1994 Michael Hopkins was commissioned to design a new opera house. See RIBA156069 for a colour version of this image.

Opera House, Glyndebourne, Sussex: the seating in the auditorium with the convex and slatted acoustic panels on the wall behind

RIBA149392
Michael Hopkins & Partners
NOTES: The original house at Glyndebourne was part of Glynde Place and dates back to the 15th century, but has been substantially altered over the subsequent centuries. In 1870 the house was enlarged and encased in red brick by the then owner William Langham Christie. In 1934 John Christie built the first opera house in the garden, consequently making the site world famous for the quality of the performances staged there. In 1994 Michael Hopkins was commissioned to design a new opera house. See RIBA156098 for a colour version of this image.

Opera House, Glyndebourne, Sussex: detail of seating and acoustic panels in the upper circle

RIBA149393
Michael Hopkins & Partners
NOTES: The original house at Glyndebourne was part of Glynde Place and dates back to the 15th century, but has been substantially altered over the subsequent centuries. In 1870 the house was enlarged and encased in red brick by the then owner William Langham Christie. In 1934 John Christie built the first opera house in the garden, consequently making the site world famous for the quality of the performances staged there. In 1994 Michael Hopkins was commissioned to design a new opera house. See RIBA156099 for a colour version of this image.

Goddards, Abinger Common, Surrey: detail of the skittle alley with seating on the right

RIBA149424
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Goddards was built (1898-1900) by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Sir Frederick Merrielees as a holiday rest home for 'ladies of small means' on a plot near Pasture Wood (later Beatrice Webb House) where the Merrielees family lived. In 1910 Merrielees commissioned Lutyens to extend Goddards converting it into a single dwelling for his son and his wife. The design of the garden was a joint collaboration with Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll. See RIBA159023 for a colour version of this image.

Goddards, Abinger Common, Surrey: detail of the seating in the skittle alley

RIBA149425
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)
NOTES: Goddards was built (1898-1900) by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Sir Frederick Merrielees as a holiday rest home for 'ladies of small means' on a plot near Pasture Wood (later Beatrice Webb House) where the Merrielees family lived. In 1910 Merrielees commissioned Lutyens to extend Goddards converting it into a single dwelling for his son and his wife. The design of the garden was a joint collaboration with Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll. See RIBA159024 for a colour version of this image.

Chair, designed by Voysey

RIBA149694
Voysey, Charles Francis Annesley (1857-1941)
NOTES: These items are from the collection of Lady Joan Slack (1925-2015), a prominent geneticist, who inherited through her family a number of artifacts from the Voysey family, which she subsequently catalogued. She lived at Bridgwater, Somerset, where these images were taken. See RIBA156444 for a colour version of this image.

Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London: the benches in the House of Lords

RIBA149864
Barry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
NOTES: See RIBA161932 for a colour version of this image.

New Place, Haslemere: the gardens, with a bench designed by Voysey in the foreground

RIBA149934
Voysey, Charles Francis Annesley (1857-1941)
NOTES: See RIBA161648 for a colour version of this image.

Earlshall, Leuchars, Fife: the summer house with sundial in front

RIBA150418
Lorimer, Sir Robert Stodart (1864-1929)
NOTES: Earlshall is a 16th tower house builit for the Bruces of Earlshall, begun in 1546 and completed in 1617. It was restored in the 1890s by Robert Lorimer, who also laid out the walled garden. See RIBA161400 for a colour version of this image.

Gravetye Manor, West Hoathly, East Grinstead: a stone seat with William Robinson's initials and the date 1898

RIBA150524
George, Sir Ernest (1839-1922)
NOTES: Originally an Elizabethan manor house of 1596, with later additions, most notably in 1885-1887, when a wing in matching style was added to the north-east by Sir Ernest George for William Robinson. Author of "The English Flower Garden", he occupied the house until his death in 1935 and made the garden one of the most famous arts and crafts gardens in England. The house is now a hotel. See RIBA161423 for a colour version of this image.

Hestercombe House and gardens, Taunton: looking out onto the parterre

RIBA150565
Bampfylde, Coplestone Warre (1720-1791)
NOTES: The house dates back to the 17th century but was extensively remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries. But the house is famous for its gardens. First landscaped in the 1750s by the then owner Coplestone Warre Bampfylde, a landscape designer and amateur painter. Then in 1904, Lutyens with Jekyll responsible for the planting created one of his largest single garden designs, creating a series of paved terraces, raised walks and water features and a grand Orangery of 1906-1908. See RIBA161605 for a colour version of this image.
Close
)
CLOSE