Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Schools

View as Grid List
Sort by

Green Lanes Junior School, Croxley Green, Hertfordshire

RIBA4886
Aslin, Charles Herbert (1893-1959)
NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and a pioneer of twentieth century prefabricated design. This school, part of the Hertfordshire County Council school-building programme which he headed, was constructed using the unit planning system.

Green Lanes Junior School, Croxley Green, Hertfordshire: a classroom

RIBA4887
Aslin, Charles Herbert (1893-1959)
NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and a pioneer of twentieth century prefabricated design. This school, part of the Hertfordshire County Council school-building programme which he headed, was constructed using the unit planning system.

Cheshunt Junior Mixed and Infants' school, Hertfordshire: the hall being prepared for break-time refreshments

RIBA5195
Aslin, Charles Herbert (1893-1959)
NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and headed its pioneering school-building programme.

Temple Hill School, Dartford, Kent: classroom

RIBA5199
Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners

Brandlehow Primary School, Putney, London

RIBA5223
Goldfinger, Erno (1902-1987)

Divinity School, Oxford

RIBA5286
Orchard, William (d. 1504)
NOTES: William Orchard was responsible for the vault while Richard Winchcombe, one of the master masons, was probably the designer of the building. The door on the right was added in 1669.

Grammar School, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon: the schoolroom in the Over Hall on the upper storey

RIBA5397
NOTES: The Grammar School was originally the guildhall of the Gild of the Holy Cross, the ruling body of Stratford to the time of the Dissolution. The ground floor was the guildhall proper while the Over Hall became the town's school room. King Edward VI, having suppressed the Gild, entrusted the guild's school to the town corporation in 1553 after which it was known as Edward VI Grammar School. It is generally believed that William Shakespeare was educated in this room.

Double classroom, showing dual arrangement of desks

RIBA6230
SOURCE: Edward Robert Robson. School architecture (London, 1874), pl. 268

Secondary modern school, Hunstanton

RIBA6269
Alison & Peter Smithson

Scotland Street School, Glasgow: the entrance facade with a pair of Scottish Baronial style conical-roofed stair towers

RIBA6306
Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh
NOTES: Designed in 1903-1906 for a school roll of 1250 pupils, this school closed in 1979 with a school roll of only 100 pupils. It eventually underwent major restoration under the direction of Strathclyde. Architectural & Related Services Department during the 1990s and reopened in 2001 as the Scotland Street School Museum which demonstrates what school life was like in the 1900s.

Scotland Street School, Glasgow: fenestration detail of the main facade

RIBA6307
Honeyman Keppie & Mackintosh
NOTES: Designed in 1903-1906 for a school roll of 1250 pupils, this school closed in 1979 with a school roll of only 100 pupils. It eventually underwent major restoration under the direction of Strathclyde. Architectural & Related Services Department during the 1990s and reopened in 2001 as the Scotland Street School Museum which demonstrates what school life was like in the 1900s.
Close
)
CLOSE