NOTES: San Michele is the principal cemetery of Venice and is located on the island between Venice and Murano. David Chipperfield Architects won the competition to extend the cemetery in 1998. The design involved creating a walled second island accessible by two short bridges, with a series of four new courtyards (each dedicated to one of the four Evangelists) and a chapel. The first courtyard, dedicated to Mark the Evangelist, opened to the public in September 2007.
SOURCE: Builders' Journal & Architectural Record, vol. 20, 1904 Dec. 28 supplement [The architectural and building events of 1904], p. 25 NOTES: The design for the Port of Liverpool Building (formerly Mersey Docks and Harbour Board Offices, more commonly known as the Dock Office) was won in competition by Briggs & Wolstenholme with Arnold Thornely and F. B. Hobbs. Built in 1904-1907, the structure is of steel encased in concrete, with a facing of Portland stone.