Sant'Andrea, Mantua: the Mantegna funerary chapel
|Architect/Designer||Alberti, Leon Battista (1404-1472)|
|Fancelli, Luca (1430-1495)|
|Romano, Giulio (c. 1499-1546)|
|Juvarra, Filippo (1678-1736)|
|Pozzo, Paolo (1741-1803)|
|Artist/Photographer||Charles, Martin (1940-2012)|
|Library Reference||MC Q 040486|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Martin Charles / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Chapels ; Tombs ; Frescoes ; Churches|
NOTES: The church was begun in 1471 just before Alberti's death. It was completed by Luca Fancelli in 1494. It was enlarged in 1530 under the direction of Giulio Romano. This involved the demolition of the east end of the nave-only design to make way for the later Latin cross extension. Designs were drawn up by Filippo Juvarra for the addition of a dome in 1733, but the project was not completed until 1781 by Paolo Pozzo, who was also responsible for decorating the interior. This is the funerary chapel of Andrea Mantegna and contains his tomb. The frescoes have been attributed to his son Francesco (circa 1470-after 1517) and Antonio Correggio.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.