Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Ruins

View as Grid List
Sort by

Beckton gasworks, London: 'post-Kubrick ruins'

RIBA138534
NOTES: The original gasworks owned by the Gas Light & Coke Co. at Beckton opened in 1870 and covered an area of 540 acres, with its own railway transporting coal from northern England. During its heyday it served 4.5 million customer in the metropolitan area north of the Thames. The gasworks closed in 1969 with the introduction of natural instead of coal-fired gas. Subsequently the buildings became derelict and were earmarked for demolition. In 1985-1986, the area was used as the location for the filming of Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket', with the remaining buildings of the 1920s and 1930 (and possibly 1950s) as seen here, masquerading as the city of Hue in Vietnam. During filming further demolition took place to create the effect of a city under fire and this image was taken after filiming had finished. The buildings were later demolished and replaced by housing.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, Hiroshima: the ruins of the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall

RIBA139863
Tange, Kenzo (1913-2005)
NOTES: This building originally named the Product Exhibition Hall was designed by Czech architect Jan Letzel. Opening in 1915, the design included a distinctive dome at the top of the building and renamed the Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall in 1921. Part destroyed during the bombing of Hiroshima in 1945, it has been retained as a memorial to the 140,000 people killed.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, Hiroshima: the ruins of the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall

RIBA139864
Tange, Kenzo (1913-2005)
NOTES: This building originally named the Product Exhibition Hall was designed by Czech architect Jan Letzel. Opening in 1915, the design included a distinctive dome at the top of the building and renamed the Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall in 1921. Part destroyed during the bombing of Hiroshima in 1945, it has been retained as a memorial to the 140,000 people killed.

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, Hiroshima: the ruins of the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall

RIBA139865
Tange, Kenzo (1913-2005)
NOTES: This building originally named the Product Exhibition Hall was designed by Czech architect Jan Letzel. Opening in 1915, the design included a distinctive dome at the top of the building and renamed the Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall in 1921. Part destroyed during the bombing of Hiroshima in 1945, it has been retained as a memorial to the 140,000 people killed.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, at night

RIBA140075
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, at night

RIBA140076
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, at night

RIBA140077
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire: the undercroft

RIBA140078
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, at night

RIBA140079
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, at night

RIBA140080
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, at night

RIBA140081
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.

Fountains Abbey, North Yorkshire, at night

RIBA140082
NOTES: Construction on this Cistercian abbey began in 1132 and was only completed in 1526 shortly before its dissolution in 1539. The tower was added in 1494-1526.
)
CLOSE