Royal Institute of British Architects' President's Badge and Chain of Office, commissioned by T. L. Donaldson and made by Hunt & Roskell
|Insignia, emblems ; Metalwork
NOTES: In late April 1879 the Institute held its annual dinner in the FreemasonsÔÇÖ Tavern, Great Queen Street, London, with the then President, Charles Barry Jnr, in the chair and the Patron, HRH the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), in attendance. In the final toast, proposed by the Prince of Wales, Professor Donaldson was singled out by the Prince as a veteran and loved member of the Institute. Following this dinner Donaldson proposed to the President and Council that he be allowed to present to the Institute a badge and chain of office for the President. He had intended to leave money in his will for this, but following the dinner felt that presenting the badge and chain in commemoration of the Prince of WalesÔÇÖs attendance at the InstituteÔÇÖs annual dinner would be more appropriate. Council agreed and the badge and chain, made by Hunt & Roskell (silversmiths and jewellers to Queen Victoria), was first presented by the outgoing President, Mr Barry, to the incoming President, John Whichcord, at the opening meeting of the new session of the Royal Institute of British Architects on 1 December 1879. The designer of the badge is not known ÔÇô possibly it was designed by Donaldson himself. [Builder, vol. 37, 1879, p. 477-479, 1334]
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.