Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.

Royal ceremonies, visits

View as Grid List
Sort by

Sketch perspective of the decorations for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in Whitehall, London

Casson, Sir Hugh Maxwell (1910-1999)
NOTES: Elizabeth ascended the throne upon the death of her father, King George VI, on 6 February 1952 and was crowned Queen Elizabeth II on 2 June 1953. The artists and designers Christopher and Robin Ironside designed the huge coat of arms which was the centrepiece of the coronation decorations in Whitehall. Sir Hugh Casson was the consulting architect for the coronation decorations.

St Saviour's Church and institute, Old Oak Road, Acton, London: the Prince of Wales laying the foundation stone with Edward Maufe second on the left

Edward VIII of the United Kingdon (1894-1972)
NOTES: The Royal Association in Aid of the Deaf and Dumb (later the Royal Association for Deaf People) began in 1854. Their first purpose-built deaf church, at Oxford Street and Lumley Street, opened in 1873 to designs by A. W. Blomfield. This church was demolished in 1923 in the face of redevelopment by the Grosvenor Estate and the compensation paid enabled the charity to purchase two new sites, in Acton and Clapham, and they commissioned Edward Maufe who provided two very similar sets of designs for the new churches. The Acton church retained the dedication and some of the fittings from the Oxford Street church. The institute is on the ground floor with the church above it with a raked floor. The church and institute building (but not the former, and much altered, chaplain's house) is listed Grade II. St SaviourÔÇÖs, Acton, was officially opened in 1925 when the Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, laid the foundation stone.

Architectural composition in the style of the 13th century showing a medieval royal procession entering a cathedral

NOTES: The procession depicted includes knights, soldiers and members of a religious order.

Witley Court, Great Witley, Worcestershire: perspective view made on the occasion of the visit to Witley of Queen Adelaide

Nash, John (1752-1835)
NOTES: Queen Adelaide (the widow of King William IV) rented Witley Court for three years from 1843. This drawing was one of several made by John Wood to illustrate an article in the 'Illustrated London News', published on the occasion of her first stay there. The original house was built in 1620, with later additions designed by John Nash in c. 1806. See RIBA84172 for a print probably based on this drawing.