Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Restoration

View as Grid List
Sort by

Chateau de Pierrefonds, Oise: view of the castle during its reconstruction

RIBA13565
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
NOTES: In the 12th century, a castle was built on this site. From 1393 to 1407 the castle was rebuilt for Louis d'Orleans by the court architect, Jean le Noir. It was abandoned in the 17th century and remained a 'romantic ruin' until Viollet-le-Duc undertook its restoration in 1857. The reconstruction was never completed since the works were halted in 1881.

Cathedral of Notre Dame, Amiens: the choir screen

RIBA13796
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
NOTES: The original cathedral, built in Romanesque style in 1152, was destroyed by fire caused by lightning in 1218. Reconstruction began in 1220 and the nave was completed in 1245. The rebuilding of the choir began c.1238 and was completed before 1269, and by 1288 only the tops of the towers remained incomplete. The south tower was completed in 1366 while the north tower was completed in 1402. It was restored by Viollet-le-Duc in the 1850s.

Cathedral of Notre Dame, Amiens: the reliefs in the south transept

RIBA13797
NOTES: The original cathedral, built in Romanesque style in 1152, was destroyed by fire caused by lightning in 1218. Reconstruction began in 1220 and the nave was completed in 1245. The rebuilding of the choir began c.1238 and was completed before 1269, and by 1288 only the tops of the towers remained incomplete. The south tower was completed in 1366 while the north tower was completed in 1402. It was restored by Viollet-le-Duc in the 1850s.

Cathedral of Notre Dame, Amiens: the south portal of the Virgin Mary

RIBA13983
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
NOTES: The original cathedral, built in Romanesque style in 1152, was destroyed by fire caused by lightning in 1218. Reconstruction began in 1220 and the nave was completed in 1245. The rebuilding of the choir began c.1238 and was completed before 1269, and by 1288 only the tops of the towers remained incomplete. The south tower was completed in 1366 while the north tower was completed in 1402. It was restored by Viollet-le-Duc in the 1850s.

Chateau Pierrefonds: the main entrance

RIBA13985
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)

Chateau Pierrefonds, showing a wing of the chapel

RIBA13986
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)

Chateau Pierrefonds: the Courtyard of Honour

RIBA13987
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)

Chateau Pierrefonds: the Courtyard of Honour

RIBA13988
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)

Chateau Pierrefonds: the chapel

RIBA13989
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)

Chateau Pierrefonds: the turret of the chapel wing

RIBA13990
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)

Chateau Pierrefonds: the Room of Armour

RIBA13991
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
Close
)
CLOSE